Wednesday, September 21, 2011

~25% ....


9/21/2011
Greetings from Bagram … btw, those of you following along wanting to see the aviation weather here, you can look at the TAF’s and METARS for OAIX & KQSA. A "K" code all the way over here …. Crazy !

I’ve been in-country for about 2 ½ weeks now and I’m really starting to get a good feel for what’s going on here. Life on an active military base in a war zone does indeed have its interesting moments. Our living quarters are very close to the flight line, and some very loud planes fly 27/7 here !! Interesting how you easily get used to it. For me, having grown up right under the final approach for Newark Int’l, its just the same old thing all over again.

There are troops from several different nations here, all eating together, walking the same streets … I wasn’t aware that military from other countries salute officers from other nations. I sometimes am following officers and notice they have to salute back several times a minute !!! Seems like their arms must get weary. 

The weather here continues to be warm and sunny, temps in the high 80’s and low 90’s … constant clear skies. I’m told winter kicks in late November.

I stopped in to visit with the USCG based here. My brother Pat is a Captain in the USCG. Although a land locked nation, the USCG does container inspections and works with Customs officials here. Pretty impressive group.

My work rotation has us in country for 60 days and home 30. As a math head, I’m constantly doing %’s, so, being here 2 ½ weeks already, I’m more that 25% done of my 1st rotation. The department I work in, Flight Operations, see’s people coming and going thru their rotations … people are always psyched to leave, but come back refreshed and ready to take on their tasks. The sense of mission is quite a positive thing here.

Food, good. Bed, comfy. Showers, could be warmer.

I have to note that Skype has to be one of the best inventions going !! I’ve been able to have video calls with Linda and our children ….

So, all is well here in Afghanistan.

Take good care of yourselves.

Deltafox ("Afghan-is-Dan")
 

No comments:

Post a Comment