Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ok, from this day forward, NO ONE is allowed to change their seat or move cargo on my airline!!!

Hello: 
I believe we’re now about half-way thru the Flight Dispatcher (ADX) class here at the Jeppesen Academy in Denver. I’m told that this week and next are called “hell week” as we learn all there is to know about Aerodynamics, Weight and Balance, Aircraft Performance and Navigation. These 4 subjects taken individually can be a college major themselves!!! The pace of the class has definitely picked up. I’m finding the classes fascinating …. There is A LOT of detail that happens in the Dispatch office pre, during and post flight.
We have completed the Weight and Balance section and were tested this morning. I scored a 91. Kinda pretty good, but I’m a type A, so it’s not good enough. Of course, testing helps point out what needs tightening up, so review review review continues. Weight and Balance studies the Center of Gravity of the aircraft, MAC, LEMAC, and how this CG changes as payload gets added, removed or moved. From this day forward on my airline, NO ONE is allowed to move anything!!! A knowledge of the definitions of the different weights of the aircraft apply in every equation, its relation to the Center of Pressure, the effects of flight on the CG being forward or aft or wherever in-between etc. We setting trim tabs on the Boeing green band on our imaginary fleet of 737’s and determine pallet load limits.
Phew!!
Now we are in the Aircraft Performance section, learning about all of the takeoff limitations placed on the aircraft, VEVENT, V1, VR, VLOF, V2 and on and on…
Class is a strange event as we’re in class 8 hours a day, go home, and hit the books for 4 more hours … tomorrow, the alarm rings, class begins, 8 hours, go home, 4 hours ….. This is a lot of study!!
A few of my classmates have interviews with SkyWest airlines tomorrow and I wish them well. I’m attending class with some pretty bright people. Myself, I’m a 135/91 guy, so I’m sending out resumes and sure do wish I’d hear back from someone (anyone?).
Love to chat more, but I can hear an Accelerate-Stop-flaps Takeoff performance chart calling my name.
Later!!
  

3 comments:

  1. Keep it up. THere is an end in sight.. and its holding a Certificate !

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey what is a 131/95 guy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 14 CFR Part 91 are the General Flight Regulations and 14 CFR 135 are Flight for Hire and Compensation.
    The dispatcher rating I'm currently going after is only reqd for 14 CFR 121 Scheduled Flag, Domestic and Supplimental Air Carriers (airlines).
    I believe the "91/135" world is moving toward having this same requirement.
    Seems all the "quality" flight departments want it

    ReplyDelete