Friday, January 28, 2011

Its all about balance ... and the Mean Aerodynamic Chord ....

Balance is the perfect state of still water. Let that be our model. It remains quiet within and is not disturbed on the surface  - Confucius

Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony. - Thomas Merton

Today we began our day with our 2nd test this week. This one was on ATC procedures and Airports. I hit the ball outta the park with a 98. I'm a tad mad at myself for getting one wrong as I had studied quite abit and my one error was not on my "careful with this one" list.

We move on ....

We began our day talking about Security measures in aviation. Sky Marshals, NTSB Reporting requirements, declaring an emergency etc. Every company I have worked for so far in my career has made this issue a close #2 right behind the always #1 Safety. It was a good session.

Now the fun begins .... a big deal job of a Flight Dispatcher is load planning, that is, the weight and balance of the aircraft. In my world of corporate aviation this is not the giant issue, as the acft are spacious and do not haul a great amount of weight, but for those in the airline and cargo world, its a giant big deal. The fun thing about learning how to properly load an aircraft, using M/W=CG and (CG - LEMAC)/MAC = % of MAC type of equations is that in the "real world" the computer systems already in place in the Dispatch office do all of this work for the Dispatcher. Learning how it all happens gives you an appreciation and understanding of the final product that comes from software, allowing the user to be able to make sure that the result "looks right".  

I have alot of homework this weekend .... definitions of the various weights of an acft, calculation Center of Gravity for our Beech 1900, trim settings etc.

I have a Lear 35 and Hawker 800 flight manual with me so I'll be able to compare the math of our Jeppesen Airlines Boeing 737-800's with these 2 corporate jets..... that's my idea of fun !!!!!

Did I mention I got a 98 !!!!

Later

DeltaFox

No comments:

Post a Comment